Leave me somewhere long enough and my feet itch to go somewhere new. I feel at home when sitting on a plane, excited about the destination. Primarily, I just don't want to deal with reality, hence... the escapist tendency.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Journey

So, I am now currently in Cuzco, Peru in one of the most surreal experiences I´ve ever had.  It began when the pilot turned the cabin light on at an ungodly hour of about 5 in the morning.  Since I was sitting at a window seat, my first instinct was to lift the window shade and see what I could find outside.  At that time in the morning, it was still dark, but after a moment, my eyes adjusted and was greeted by a striking view; far out in the horizon was a thin glowing line where the sun would later rise.  Above it, the midnight blue sky still held some stars and the ever present light of Venus.  Below was this expanse of darkness.  Land.  The sheer vastness of black had taken me by surprise.  Though I´ve flown over the States several times during the night, I usually see large clusters of orange glow or the omnipresent line of a highway.  However, during this time, below me were very small, faint orange clusters.  This was the moment that it really hit me.  I was flying over South America.   This realization was overwhelming... though in a very heart pounding kind of exciting way.  I mean, since I was young, I´ve been looking at maps and globes, thinking of all the places that I wanted to visit.  South America then had been just a distant land that I´ve meant to go to but really didn´t know about or really didn´t have any concrete plans on visiting.  Now here I was.  And for two months!  I can´t wait to see what adventures this land holds for me.



Well, that´s really my initial thoughts.  I have to go back to my homestay.  But there will be more to come.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment